Thursday, January 8, 2009

Two things is all I ask, Valve

Left 4 Dead on Xbox360 is my recent vice. It’s just too much fun. It’s also causing me frustration to no end.
All the game is about is having fun. There are no rankings that can haunt you and there’s no score being kept once a match is over with. So that means there’s really no motivation to win other than its fun to win; even though it’s also fun to lose.
Sounds perfect, right? Wrong. It’s the goddamn Garden of Eden and every ass-chomper is also biting into the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. I’m not saying these dill-holes are smart with this metaphor, just that they ruined complete paradise.
There’s an exploit where the Infected can push a items in the way, blocking the Survivors completely, causing a stand-off. This makes it so the Infected will eventually win. Eventually in this situation can take hours. It becomes a slow battle of attrition. It has no place is a fast paced zombie action survival game.
So the first thing I ask from you Valve is that you remove the ability from the Infected to move objects that can block the Survivors. You’ve already done it for the PC version. Please find the time to fix it for the Xbox360 version. We’re your customers too.
Second thing I ask from you Valve is to add a disconnect ratio. So many games have been ended because someone is losing and they just want to quit. This ends it for everyone. I’ve worked my ass off to win a match so many times only to have our server shut-down because our opponent was going to lose. Sure it counts as a win for me but that means nothing because the matches aren’t ranked and scores aren’t kept. I’ve had my ass handed to me a lot. It took time to get to the mediocre skill level of which I’m a master. But I never quit. I always tried to learn how I was being beat. Both for how to copy it and improve it and also how to avoid it.
So if you add a disconnect ratio and I see a player who disconnects 50%(!!) of the time, I’m going to kick him from the game. He can repair his ratio by playing quick matches so he’s not forever fucked…but he is for a long while.
I think with these rules in place, paradise can return to the land of the dead, as it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment